24 Aug Cosmic Consciousness – August 25 2019
The Truth is far more all-encompassing than the mind could ever comprehend. No thought can encapsulate the Truth. At best, it can point to it. For example, it can say: “All things are intrinsically one.” That is a pointer, not an explanation. Understanding these words means feeling deep within you the truth to which they point.
Eckhart Tolle, Stillness Speaks
The first stage of enlightenment is referred to as ‘cosmic consciousness.’
cos·mic – of or pertaining to the cosmos; immeasurably extended in time and space; vast.
Which leads us to:
cos·mos – the world or universe regarded as an orderly, harmonious system.
con·scious·ness – the state of being conscious; awareness of one’s own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc.
from Dictionary.com Unabridged.
Source location: Random House, Inc.
So what we end up with is:
Cosmic consciousness – ‘awareness of one’s own existence’ as ‘an orderly harmonious system,’ ‘immeasurably extended in time and space.’
This is cosmic consciousness. Aware of ourselves, as individuals; aware of ourselves as at one with the infinity of the universe.
This is not nearly as grandiose as it sounds. Really.
Modern physicists often are quoted as saying that the underlying truth of the universe is something that could be described as the unified field. If this is true (and as a theory it is one of the most successful of all time, though still as yet unproven) it means that in fact there is only one thing, with each of us and every thing as an individualized expression of this one thing. Waves expressed from the unified field. Each wave individual, but also simply one part of the vast, infinite whole.
The Veda says much the same: that there is only one thing, that each of us is an expression of that one thing, and further that the one thing is in fact consciousness itself.
- The universe is one thing.
- The one thing of the universe is consciousness.
- The universe is infinite.
- Therefore, consciousness is infinite.
- In an infinite field, by definition, every point in that field is the center of the field.
- I exist. I know this because I am conscious.
- If I exist, and if there is only one thing, then I must in fact be that one thing. As a point in the infinite field of consciousness, I am a center of that infinite field. As are you. As is your mother, your father, your dentist, your third grade teacher. As are we all.
- If we are all the center of this infinite field, we are all the same. We are all one.
Remembering this is our task at hand.
This is not about the grandiosity of the self. It’s about the grandeur of God. The grandeur of God is what we are.
Today I will open my mind to the idea of infinity, and of my place at the center of it. I will look into the eyes of my fellows and imagine my oneness with each of them–especially those I seem to have a problem with.