01 Mar To Accept Our Present Circumstances as They Are – March 2 2021
Posted at 20:42h in Daily Thoughts
Our very first problem is to accept our present circumstances as they are, ourselves as we are, and the people about us as they are. This is to adopt a realistic humility without which no genuine advance can even begin. Again and again, we shall need to return to that unflattering point of departure. This is an exercise in acceptance that we can profitably practice every day of our lives.
Provided we strenuously avoid turning these realistic surveys of the facts of life into unrealistic alibis for apathy or defeatism, they can be the sure foundation upon which increased emotional health and therefore spiritual progress can be built.
Bill Wilson, AA Grapevine, March 1962
If we are not happy with our life or some aspect of it, we must first accept it exactly as it is. Without this necessary first step we will remain powerless to change anything. As my dear friend Bird says, “You can’t jump from air to air.” The only point of control we have is in the present moment. Without acceptance, the present moment will remain forever out of reach.
So often we resist acceptance–as if to accept what is means to lose, on some deep and profound level: to lose control, to lose ground. As if acceptance equals defeat.
Rather, acceptance is the beginning of building the life we wish to have.
Deepak Chopra has said that 90% of our perceived problems actually are the workings of the mind in defending, denying or trying to change what is. Simply by finding acceptance, we have cut away nine-tenths of what is bothering us. The other 10%, when viewed from the place of acceptance, then can be seen as opportunity for growth, rather than obstacles in the way of our happiness; for when we find acceptance, we are able also to have responsibility–the ability, the wherewithal, and the power fully to respond to our life–life as it is.
Today I will ask myself what I find unacceptable about my life. I will write down the facts of it clearly and unapologetically and, as painful as it may be, I will accept these facts exactly as they are in this moment. Then I will ask myself what direction I would like to go from here, and I will take a step in that direction.
Ruta’s Boots, Studio City, CA